The biggest pet peeve that I have when visiting a newly launched website is…
You probably guessed it!
When a website does not have a favicon.
The website is wonderful, the content is great, and everything looks professional, except for the fact that the website has no favicon.
What Is A Favicon?
A favicon is the small icon that your user sees on their browser tab when he visits your website.
Here’s how the favicon on my site looks like:
Why bother creating a favicon?
A favicon doesn’t affect your website’s functionality.
However, it gives your website a more polished a professional look.
Actually, when you have a favicon no one cares… but when you don’t have a favicon your website looks unprofessional.
When you don’t have a favicon, the default one is used, and your page looks broken!
Having a favicon is part of your entire branding experience – hence, it plays a small role in helping your brand to stand out. [Tweet “What is a favicon? How do you create one?”]
How do you create a favicon?
1. Use tools like Canva to create a tiny image with a design of your choice (32 px by 32 px).
2. Change the file extension to a .ico file. (usually, just renaming the file does the trick)
3. Tadah! Upload it onto WordPress. Depending on your website’s theme, it is usually under “Appearance” -> “Customize”
… or you could use a favicon generator like this one.
It isn’t that complicated, really. [Tweet “What is a favicon and how to create one for your website, for free. Everyone needs a favicon image. Here’s a tutorial that’ll get you one in 5 mins.”]
I hope this has helped! 🙂
I realize that this is a pretty short post – I wanted to skip all the fluff and get you the results in the shortest timeframe possible.
The hardest part of any journey is getting started, and blogging is no exception.
P.S. If you’re just starting out, Kickstart Your Blog is exactly what you need – in this course, I’ll get your blog off the ground quickly and strategically, one clear step at a time.
Also, here are more foundational posts that you may find helpful.
- Blogging For Beginners: How to Start a Blog in 20 Minutes (if you have not started your website, this is a great place to start)
- The Ultimate Guide: How to Launch a Brand New Website
- 101 Popular Topic + Ideas On What To Blog About
- The Business Model Behind Your Internet Online Business
A tiny request: If you liked this post, please share this?
I know most people don’t share because they feel that us bloggers don’t need their “tiny” social share. But here’s the truth…
I built this blog piece by piece, one small share at a time, and will continue to do so. So thank you so much for your support, my reader.
A share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog.
Some great suggestions:
– Pin it! (I even made a pretty pin for ya!)
– Share it to your favorite blog + biz Facebook group
– Tweet it!
It won’t take more than 10 seconds of your time. The share buttons are right here. 🙂
Thank you so much!
If you enjoyed this post, get updates from me. (it’s FREE)
You’re awesome for staying till the end. Signup for my newsletter below.
I send email updates about new posts, and tips and tricks to build & monetize your online business.