The biggest pet peeve that I have when visiting a newly launched website is…
You probably guessed it!
When a website does not have a favicon.
The website is wonderful, the content is great, and everything looks professional, except for the fact that the website has no favicon.
What Is A Favicon?
A favicon is the small icon that your user sees on their browser tab when he visits your website.
Here’s how the favicon on my site looks like:
Why bother creating a favicon?
A favicon doesn’t affect your website’s functionality.
However, it gives your website a more polished a professional look.
Actually, when you have a favicon no one cares… but when you don’t have a favicon your website looks unprofessional.
When you don’t have a favicon, the default one is used, and your page looks broken!
Having a favicon is part of your entire branding experience – hence, it plays a small role in helping your brand to stand out.
How do you create a favicon?
1. Use tools like Canva to create a tiny image with a design of your choice (32 px by 32 px).
2. Change the file extension to a .ico file. (usually, just renaming the file does the trick)
3. Tadah! Upload it onto WordPress. Depending on your website’s theme, it is usually under “Appearance” -> “Customize”
… or you could use a favicon generator like this one.
It isn’t that complicated, really.
I hope this has helped! 🙂
I realize that this is a pretty short post – I wanted to skip all the fluff and get you the results in the shortest timeframe possible.
The hardest part of any journey is getting started, and blogging is no exception.
P.S. If you’re just starting out, Kickstart Your Blog is exactly what you need – in this course, I’ll get your blog off the ground quickly and strategically, one clear step at a time.
Also, here are more foundational posts that you may find helpful.
- Blogging For Beginners: How to Start a Blog in 20 Minutes (if you have not started your website, this is a great place to start)
- The Ultimate Guide: How to Launch a Brand New Website
- 101 Popular Topic + Ideas On What To Blog About
- The Business Model Behind Your Internet Online Business
Just starting out as a new entrepreneur and want to start your blog right? In my 7-day Free Blog Starter Challenge, you’ll learn how to launch a website (tech worries begone!), get your website visitor-ready, make money blogging, and more. Sign up here: