When you’re just starting out, things are often the hardest.
No one pays attention to you!
Getting traffic and subscribers becomes such a chore.
Today, I thought I would write something to help you some of you guys out…
Here’s a blog post with 50 proven ways to make your blog popular.
My Personal Journey
When I first started out, I was really busy with work. I didn’t have time to blog or network all day to get more people to come to my website.
One day, I had released an amazing freebie, only to hear crickets once again.
Enough was enough – I devoted all my free time after that to research how I can make my blog popular and get more traffic.
To cut a long story short, today I have over 50,000 followers in my community and nearly 20K subscribers now. In fact, I even went on to launch my signature traffic & list building course.
So here’s what has worked for my students and me…
How To Make Your Blog Popular
1. Get on Pinterest
It is a lot easier to get traffic from Pinterest as compared to Google if you are a complete beginner.
If you aren’t on Pinterest yet, make sure you get on there and start designing some amazing pins that will get people to come to your website and make your blog more popular!
These posts will be helpful:
- 10 Important Pinterest Strategies That Will Explode Your Traffic (Updated With Latest Changes!)
- The Best Pinterest Image Size For Your Pins (Updated Guide For 2019!)
Create pretty and/or helpful printables on your blog – they will impress your visitors and keep them coming back for more.
People are also more likely to share, comment, engage and stick around your website!
3. Tell Stories
If I were to think of one key difference between the content I used to create and the content I create now, it would be that I put in more effort to tell stories than I did before.
If you want a popular blog (aka no crickets), you need to make connections. This means being someone likable and relatable.
You do this by telling great stories that allow your audience to connect with you!
Learn the art of storytelling and start seeing dramatic changes in the engagement and popularity of your blog.
4. Write Different Types of Blog Posts
I must say that I am pretty guilty of this. I like to write how to and list posts because I’ve found that they work best.
However, sometimes it is nice to experiment with different types of blog posts too to add some variation and to keep things interesting.
Here are 45 different types of blog posts you can use.
5. Specialize in Long Form Content
It has been proven that longer blog posts are more popular with search engines, as we have found in our quest to figure out how long a blog post should be!
6. Get People to Share Your Post
Nothing beats good old asking. At the end of each post, ask your audience to share your blog articles with their friends.
I recommend using Social Warfare as your social sharing plugin too to maximize the number of shares you can get.
7. Optimize Your Post for SEO
Getting visitors from Google is a crucial way to get your blog known. Optimize your blog posts for Google to make your blog more popular and get more organic visitors!
- SEO Tips for Newbies: Ranking Your Blog Content
- Do It Yourself SEO Guide: How to Do Your Own SEO For Free
8. Create Amazing Graphics
Another way to make your blog stand out is to add really nice illustrations and graphics to your blog post. This will make your website more memorable!
9. Guest Post
You can’t make your blog popular without putting in the work. Guest posting is a great way to get more visitors to your site! However, it does take up quite a bit of time and energy.
Make sure you have a guest posting strategy that works!
10. Polish your writing skills
I don’t mean making sure you don’t have any grammar mistakes… although that’s definitely a good thing.
I mean writing in a way that retains attention and excites your readers so that they actually listen to you.
- How to Write a Perfect Blog Post [Printable Template Included]
- 8 Critical Content Writing Tips for Beginner Bloggers
11. Get More Blog Comments
There is nothing more valuable than engaging directly with your visitors to build a strong relationship. One way you can do this is via your blog comments!
Here are some ninja quick tips to get more blog comments.
12. Have a Popular Facebook Group
Complement your blogging efforts with a Facebook community. An engaged and thriving Facebook group will get you more leads and bring you more traffic!
- Lessons Learnt: How I Intend to Grow & Engage My Facebook Group With 4,000 Members
- Why I Closed My Facebook Group of 580 Entrepreneurs And Started Over
13. Get Educated
Up your blogging game with these free blogging & business courses.
14. Start Out in The Right Niche
If you haven’t started your blog yet, you can start a blog with my 4-part blogging for beginners series!
Make sure you pick the right niche as well, there is no point starting your entire blog around something that nobody cares about.
Here are some helpful resources:
- The 10 Most Profitable Niches That Will Actually Make You Money (With Examples!)
- 4 Steps To Finding Your Dream Niche For Your Blog + Biz
- Free Webinar: How to Start a Blog The Right Way (Step-by-Step Training)
15. Sell Something And Make Money
I know it sounds very counter-intuitive, but selling something successfully is the best way to quickly increase your blog’s clout.
Why? Because you can reinvest your profits very quickly and easily to get more leads.
My personal favorite is creating my own online course using Teachable.
- Why I Switched To Teachable To Host And Sell My Online Courses
- The Ultimate Guide: How to Become a Successful Infopreneur Online
- How to Create an Online Course in 72 Hours (With Guided Instructions!)
- How to Sell Online Courses 101
16. Don’t Make These Amateur Blogging Mistakes
- Not self-hosting your website
- Not making your blog + biz a priority
- Ugly website
- Not planning your blog posts ahead
- Not starting an email list from day 1
- Listening to someone who hasn’t achieved what you want to achieve
- Scared to invest
- Relying on ads or sponsored posts
You can read the full post here: 11 Terrible Mistakes I Have Seen Amateur Blogs Make (Real-life Examples Included!)
16. Get a Good Theme
Make sure you get a professional theme that can last for the long-run.
Divi is great for beginners that don’t have a coding background because you can use their drag-and-drop builder to easily customize a site that you love.
Genesis, the theme this website uses, is for people who know a bit of code because you may need to tweak things to get your website to look exactly like you want it to look.
Both are quality themes backed by great developers!
Or you can use the best option – my done-for-you website kit to get a customizable website made with Divi by my team and me!
17. Actually Have a Blog Business Plan
Success doesn’t come without planning. You may have heard of this quote that goes, “If you don’t schedule it, it isn’t real!”
Hence, I highly recommend that you craft a blog business plan so that you know what to work towards.
18. Build a List
Make building a list your #1 priority. When you invest in building a list for your business, you are investing in a vehicle that will get people to come back to your website again and again.
An email list nurtures your audience to turn strangers into superfans!
- List Building 101: How to Build An Email List That Makes Money (Cheatsheet Included)
- Why Building an Email List is a MUST for Your Blog & Business
- Why I Switched to Using Convertkit As My Email Service Provider
- What is a Squeeze Page? (and the 4 classic hallmarks of an amazing one)
- 10 Game-Changing Strategies I Used To Create an Irresistible Lead Magnet/ Freebie That Got Me 711 Downloads in 3 Months
- Get More Subscribers: 6 Hotspots To Place Your Email Opt-in Boxes
- The Hello Bar Alternative: How I Got 196 New Subscribers With Just 15 Minutes of Work
19. Add Cool Feminine Styled Stock Photos
If your target audience is mostly female, consider adding pretty feminine stock photos within your blog posts – they make your articles look a lot more professional and put together.
20. Get Organized
You can’t start a successful online business if everything is a mess. Make sure you organize your business and simplify everything you do! Don’t do things without an end-goal.
For instance, I spend a ton of time replying to my emails but now have a system that prioritizes the important ones. I only reply to non-urgent ones once every 2 – 3 weeks.
I also recommend that you use tools like Evernote to stay productive!
21. Market Your Business Aggressively
Especially when you are just starting your online business, you need to market your business aggressively to get more people to come to your site.
If you couple that with all the above tips to create a quality website that people will care about, your blog & business will definitely grow with time!
22. Catchy Headlines
The most important part of any article is the headline.
Write catchy headlines!
Pay extra attention to your headlines and make sure that they are extremely catchy and enticing!
Of course, do not bait and switch your readers. Your headlines should ideally evoke curiosity, yet remain authentic.
You may find this post useful: 190+ Catchy Headlines / Blog Titles To Get More Attention
23. Promote Your Blog Post After Publishing
Check out my blog post promotion series that will tell you what to do before and after you publish each blog post!
- 11 Things You Should Do Before You Publish Any Blog Post
- 8 Simple Ways To Promote Your Blog Posts After You Hit Publish
24. Create a Brand That Stands Out
You don’t want to be just another “flash in the pan” website that is here today and gone tomorrow. Instead, aim to create a solid brand that people will remember.
Have coherent brand fonts and colors, a solid web design, and position your brand differently from all the other websites out there!
25. Record Videos
Videos are a great way to stand out from the crowd and build a connection with your audience!
My 5-part video creation series will be very useful to you:
Part 1. A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating & Recording Awesome Videos Online
Part 2. How I Got Over My Fears, Recorded My First Video Online & Made Video Creation a Regular Affair
Part 3. The 5 Best Microphones Used By Entrepreneurs (For Online Video Creation)
Part 4. Blue Yeti Tutorial: How To Use The Blue Yeti Microphone To Get Clear Audio For Your Videos
Part 5. The 7 Techniques I Use to Edit My Videos With Screenflow
SummaryNeed More Visibility? Here Are 25 Proven Ways To Make Your Blog Popular!Click To Tweet
Here’s my challenge to you now:
Pick one of these 25 ways and implement it into your business right away.
Here’s to your growth as a blogger, one subscriber at a time!