Recently, I thought about adding a hello bar to the top of my site.
As you probably know, I’m always looking for ways to build my email list.
I mean, I even wrote a post about how you can get more subscribers by optimizing your website.
In this post, I’ll be covering how I got 196 new subscribers with just 15 minutes of work.
For those of you who don’t know what that is, Hello Bar adds a “slim bar” at the top of your website that sticks to the top as you scroll down.
Mine looked a little something like that:
Hello Bar Alternatives?
Unfortunately, Hello Bar didn’t quite work out for me…
After a few minutes, I realized that Hello Bar’s free plan has quite a lot of restrictions.
Particularly, there’s a huge “H” at the left side of each Hello Bar – this will direct people away from my site to the Hello Bar website.
Needless to say, that’s something I’m trying to avoid.
I thought about paying for the paid plan, but not before doing a quick search for any other alternatives.
And that’s when I found WP Notification Bars, a WordPress plugin that’s 100% free!
Both seem to work in exactly the same way too, so why not?
Proceeding to the “Hello Bar” Experiment
For the sake of convenience, I shall call this experiment the “Hello Bar” Experiment, even though I’m technically not using Hello Bar. I’ll be using WP Notification Bars instead.
- No need to give Hello Bar credit and bring people away from my website
- WP Notification Bars allow people to click on a button first before inserting their details, as compared to Hellobar’s free plan whereby people have to fill in their details right inside the Hellobar (this decreases the opt-in rate).
- I can link the “submit” button to a Leadbox and hence have control over what thank you page people are directed to, unlike Hello Bar whereby subscriber emails are collected into Hellobar and I cannot connect the Hellobar to my email service provider without paying.
Wondering what a Leadbox is? Check out my Leadpages review.
Hello Bar probably offers some more advanced options like A/B testing using its paid plan, but most of my readers aren’t at that stage yet.
So… how did the experiment go?
The end result: 196 new subscribers, without me doing anything!
All I had to do was set it up.
I’ve only installed the bar for slightly over a month, so I must say that it has been really effective.
And the best part? The only thing I did was to install the bar! 🙂
By the way, I have absolutely no affiliation with WP Notification Bars and this post is not sponsored. 😉
I hope this helps! [Tweet “The Hello Bar Experiment: How to get 196 new subscribers with just 15 minutes of work?”]
Check out the other list building articles on my blog:
- List Building 101: How to Build An Email List That Makes Money (Cheatsheet Included)
- Why Building an Email List is a MUST for Your Blog & Business
- Why I Switched to Using Convertkit As My Email Service Provider
- Newsletter Content Ideas To Send & Engage Your Subscribers
- 10 Game-Changing Strategies I Used To Create an Irresistible Lead Magnet/ Freebie That Got Me 711 Downloads in 3 Months
- Get More Subscribers: 6 Hotspots To Place Your Email Opt-in Boxes
- The Hello Bar Alternative: How I Got 196 New Subscribers With Just 15 Minutes of Work
- 31 Content Upgrade Ideas For Your Blog (With real examples!)=
Free 40K Email Subscribers Workshop
More traffic + more subscribers = more income for your blog, right?!
If you need help to get more traffic and grow your email list, sign up for my FREE traffic & list building workshop, where I go through 3 of the most effective strategies that have allowed me to grow my email list exponentially:
A tiny request: If you liked this post, please share this?
I know most people don’t share because they feel that us bloggers don’t need their “tiny” social share. But here’s the truth…
I built this blog piece by piece, one small share at a time, and will continue to do so. So thank you so much for your support, my reader.
A share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog.
Some great suggestions:
– Pin it! (I even made a pretty pin for ya!)
– Share it to your favorite blog + biz Facebook group
– Tweet it!
It won’t take more than 10 seconds of your time. The share buttons are right here. 🙂
Thank you so much!
If you enjoyed this post, get updates from me. (it’s FREE)
You’re awesome for staying till the end. Signup for my newsletter below.
I send email updates about new posts, and tips and tricks to build & monetize your online business.