Is there a difference between a blog and a website?
Should I create a blog or a website?
These are questions I get periodically from my subscribers who email me.
Today, I’ll answer your burning blog vs website questions!
If you’re interested in other blogging related FAQs I’ve answered before, feel free to check these posts out:
- How Long Should A Blog Post Be? (Finally, The Truth Is Out!)
- Is Blogging REALLY Dead? Let’s Answer This Question Once And For All.
- How Much Do Bloggers Really Make? (Thousands of Bloggers Surveyed!)
- Can’t Decide What’s The Best Blogging Platform to Use? Answers here.
Blog Vs Website: What’s The Difference?
A blog is the part of a website that displays new articles you have published.
On the other hand, websites are static sites that provide information to its users. Typically, this information is not changed regularly. If you have a webpage, regardless of whether there’s a blog on it or not, that’s a website.
All blogs are websites, hence blogs are a subset of websites.
If you’re starting a blog, you’ll also be launching a website. It’s just a matter of terminology though – I wouldn’t get too caught up in this.
As mentioned, a website is simply a webpage online. When you start a blog, you’re also starting a website.
If you want to start a blog, check out my tutorial which has been shared over 50,000 times and has helped hundreds of bloggers get their blogs started: Blogging For Beginners: How to Start a Blog in 20 Minutes.
Most sites are both websites and blogs.
For instance, my site (raelyntan.com) is both a blog and a website.
However, there are some websites that don’t have blogs.
To give you another example, you could create a new website tomorrow with just one paragraph of text on it to introduce yourself.
There’s no new content being published, nor is there a blog section on it.
Hence, this website does not have a blog.
Are Blogs Or Websites Better?
Now that you’ve read the above sections, you will know why this question is a little redundant because all blogs are websites too.
Obviously, the better choice would be to have both a website and a blog.
Why Bother Blogging?
There are many reasons why someone would want to start blogging, here are 9 reasons that I hear of very regularly!
Reasons people want to start a blog…
- To make money and multiply your income (financial freedom!)
- To quit your job and be your own boss (physical and emotional freedom)
- To get your voice heard by people around the world.
- To blog as a creative avenue.
- For FUN!
- Because you enjoy writing
- To teach something that you’re passionate about
- To share with others particular ideas/ skills
- To inspire and impact others
- …and much more!
As you can see, blogging is an incredibly exciting thing to embark on. It could potentially be very profitable too!
Have You Started Your Blog?
Personally, I feel that every website owner needs to have a blog as well.
This will keep your audience updated with fresh content and allows you to build authority in your niche. It will also be easier for your brand to stand out. You will be able to get more traffic and build your email list too.
If you have not started your blog yet, start today! It’s very easy to start one.
Check out my 4-part Blogging For Beginners series. It’s been shared over 50,000 times and will help you to start a blog the right way:
1. How to Start a Blog – Blogging For Beginners
2. Can’t Decide What’s The Best Blogging Platform to Use? Answers here.
3. 11 Things To Do Immediately After You Start a New Blog
4. 11 Blogging Plugins You Need to Rock Your Blog
If you need more technical training I have a more in-depth free workshop:
Have fun blogging and I hope that this has answered your question!